On Saturday May 12, the XARC hosted their annual spring fox hunt in Webster and Penfield NY. The hunt began at the Holt Road Wegmans, with three foxes being hidden. While it was pouring early that day, mother nature coooperated and the weather broke and we had a rain free hunt. We had a fantastic turn out with 7 teams participating in the hunt!
Fox 1 (at .5 watts) was in Milton Case Park, in the village of Webster, which is a small and not easy to find park that takes up a small plot of real estate.
Fox 2 (at 6 watts) was hidden in the 1000 Acre Swap Preserve near the Penfield Ambulance Base. Due to the power of this fox, and the locations close proximity to Harris Whalen Park, many hunters spent some time in the Harris park before finding Fox 2 at the Swamp location.
Fox 3 (at .5 watts) was hidden in Rothfuss Park in Penfield.
After the final fox was found team members met at Hooligans East Side grill to enjoy some lunch and review the day.
- Rookie Team honors went to the all rookie teams of:
- Luke Hawley – KD2OJV and Paul Adamides KD2PII
- Joe Merolillo – K2ZX, Mike Happell – W3MJH, Larry Brightenfield – W2LB, and Doug Bower – W2GT
- Long Distance went to:
- Bill Ackroyd WA2UFQ and his wife all the way up from Dryden, NY
- First place went to:
- John Dickason – N2JAC, Bob Karz, – K2OID, and Rookie Paw Welch – KD2PER
- Secend went to Brian Donovan – K2AS, and Rookie Austin Chudyk -KD2OYZ
- Third went to:
- Rich Hull – K2RAH, and Fred Donahue – W3MUD
A special thanks goes to co-huntmasters K2WEK – Bill Kurrasch and KC2GTO – Paul Kurrasch for their hard work in getting the event setup and run.
Also, thanks to Joe Merolillo – K2ZX and the ROC City net guys for promoting the hunt on the 2 and 80 meter Sunday night and Wednesday night Roc City Net.
The next hunt will be hosted by the XARC in October of 2018. The the winners – Bob K., Jon D., and Pat W. get to organize and execute what will surely be an exciting event.
73, and happy hunting!