I bought this Hammarlund HQ-145-X on eBay. I paid a little more than I planned, but I got tired of losing auctions. Got it Monday, and there is little cosmetic damage. Dirt, on the other hand, is a different story. The cover is well ventilated with thousands of holes, and 50+ years of dust build-up was on the top of the chassis. The underneath side was clean. It did work – I heard signals with just a wire off the back of the radio. Audio gain pot was noisy, some controls not real smooth.
I Had already started to remove the knobs here –
Here is what the chassis looked like –
So I took the radio out to the garage to blow it out with some compressed air. It helped alot, but as I blew off the front of the radio, the paint on the faceplate of the clock just started to peel right off, leaving this –
So I should be able to reproduce this and get the clock looking normal again. The radio is pretty decent, so I don’t think it will need a complete overhaul. Mostly some cleaning, but we’ll see.